At The Everyday Language Learner my goal is to help normal people begin and then do well with learning a new language; Normal people who may not know exactly how to go about learning another language, people who might be a bit overwhelmed with the prospect of the language learning journey.
I want to help soccer moms and business men and volunteers and missionaries and peace corp workers – people like you and me.
It is for those people that I created a free course called The Ten Week Journey. It was for those people that I wrote the comprehensive EDLL Guide to Getting Started, The EDLL Guide to Self-Assessment and the free manifesto on motivation and commitment called Sustaining.
It is also the focus of the majority of my writing here at the blog. Today then I went back through the last year of blog posts and picked ten that I feel would be helpful, empowering and encouraging for the beginning language learner. These posts will help lay a foundation for learning that will propel you toward fluency in the language you wish to master. Be sure and bookmark the ones that are most helpful.
- Destiny + Experience = Powerful Language Learning: In this article I help you think about why you want to learn the target language. Connecting your learning to a clear and meaningful purpose is important if you want to stay with it for the long haul.
- The World’s Best Language Learning Method: Another article to help you take control of your language learner so that you can be successful.
- Comprehensible Input: Comprehensible input is an important idea for language learning and with this article I’ll help you understand what it is and why you need to find it.
- 25 Ways to Find Comprehensible Input: The title explains it all; ideas for finding comprehensible input.
- Putting in the Time: Comprehensible input is important and so is time – lots of it. In this article I’ll encourage you to think about time as a language learner.
- 40 Simple Ways to Learn Another Language: A list of 40 ideas for learning.
- 5 Reasons You Should Write as Part of Your Language Learning: I have found writing to be an invaluable part of my language learning journey. With this article, I’ll help you understand why you should be writing too.
- Find Your Style: Your personal learning style and personality is not often considered when we begin to learn another language. In this post, I’ll help you discover yours.
- 4 Considerations in Choosing a Great Book for Language Learning: Reading is an important activity that every language learner should be doing as they learn the language. With this article, I’ll help you know how to choose an appropriate book.
- 10 Ways to Maximize Your Language School Experience: If you are thinking of language school, this article will help make it a more effective time.
So I hope these 10 articles will help you if you are just getting started learning another language. I want to encourage you as well to stop by the Language Learning Activities Page to find a list of ideas for ways to learn the language.
Have an amazing day, and if you haven’t yet, get started learning another language right now!
Ready to get serious about learning another language?
"Aaron consistenly pumps out top quality language learning advice and motivational posts,
and is probably one of the best sources of encouragement you'll come across."
-Donovan Nagel, The Mezzofanti Guild